Saturday, August 14, 2010

Football head injuries

Of course there are parents who won't let their kids play football. I won't let my two boys play.

I got to play at Catholic school in grades 5, 6, 7 and 8. I had neck injuries. Nothing too bad where I ever missed school. But my neck wasn't right and it would go in spurts. There were classmates of mine who were NOT allowed to play football too. I'm 51 and live in Pittsburgh.

My other big worry is soccer. I think that the use of the head in soccer is just as bad if not worse for one's health, long term. My kids won't play soccer either. We should outlaw the use of headers in soccer for all under the age of 14.

Sports should be a way to make for better fitness, wellness and humanity. Not worse. A September without football would be fine. We'd play water polo. We'd bike race. We'd play touch rugby. We'd do cross
country running and cyclocross (bike). We'd kayak.

Podcast of Edge of Sports show with Dave Zirin, http://www.edgeofsports.com/radio/rss.xml

No comments: